DUKES COUNTY HEALTH COUNCILHEALTHY AGING TASK FORCE
AGING IN COMMUNITY WORKING GROUP
Thursday, February 6, 20145:00-6:30 PM
Present: Sandie Corr-Dolby, Betsy Corsiglia, Victoria Haeselbarth, TomHallahan, Mary Holmes, Peter Temple
Absent: Polly Brown, Gary Cogley, Diane Durawa, Nancy Langman, JuneManning, Paddy Moore
Chair Tom Hallahan called the meeting to order at 5:10 PM
I. Acceptance of January 23rd meeting minutes will be addressedat our next meeting.
II. Subcommittee Reports
a. Green House model
- There is a scheduled trip for Wednesday, February 26th to attend an informational session at the Urban Greenhouse Complex in Chelsea, MA from 10 AM – 3PM. Victoria will organize this activity and alert others to pertinent details soon.
- The Westwood Fox Hill/Greenhouse model will be contacted to schedule a visit there.
- It is important that future investigations look at both the nursing home and assistive living options for Greenhouse model
• Caregiver Homes
1. Enhanced Foster Adult Care is administered by MassHealth
- 2. There are approximately 6 individuals using this service on island
- 3. Person who is paid must live in, but it cannot be a spouse.
- 4. Must be MassHealth eligible to qualify for this service
- 5. The live-in will receive a stipend of approximately $660 month for lower level of care and approximately $1200 for higher level of care.
- 6. Caregiver must document services delivered via computer program. Computer can be lent to the individual
- 7. A nurse and social worker are assigned to each case.
c. Volunteers ‘Stop at Home’ and ‘Gatekeeper’ programs
- This group continues to conduct an inventory of available services on-island
- Gatekeeper is an elderly watch program, educating others to be mindful of elderly citizens in the community who may be in need of assistance.
- It is important there are established interfaces between police, fire departments, and other community services.
- Volunteers are needed to ‘stop at home’ of people who cannot get out.
- ‘Seniors Helping Seniors’ is a program on the Cape, where abled seniors go into the homes of elderly in need.
- Peter will send us information on different technologies that are available for residents (i.e. LifeLine)
- Peter also reported on a company, Senior Life Solutions, which is providing in-home tele-therapy, as an outpatient program. There is a licensed social worker from Florida (Suzette Smith) who is interested in starting such a Senior Life Solutions program on the island.
III. No old business
IV. No new business
V. Schedule next meeting
- Next two meetings will be held at the recreation room atWindemere:
- Thursday, February 13th, 12-1:30 PM
- Wednesday, February 19th, 5-6:30 PM
Meeting adjourned at 6:15 PM
Please have all summaries and committee reports to Tom byWednesday, February 12th & 18th for dissemination for our nextmeetings.
**Wednesday, February 26th an informational session will be held atthe Urban Greenhouse Complex in Chelsea, MA from 10 AM – 3PM.