DUKES COUNTY HEALTH COUNCILHEALTHY AGING TASK FORCE
AGING IN COMMUNITY WORKING GROUP
Wednesday - February 19, 2014
Dukes County Office
Present: Polly Brown, Betsy Corsiglia, Diane Durawa ,Victoria Haeselbarth, TomHallahan, Mary Holmes, Paddy Moore
Absent: Gary Cogley, Sandie Corr-Dolby, Nancy Langman, June Manning
Meeting called to order at 5:03 PM
I. Approved the January 23rd & February 6th meeting minutes
a. Green House model
- Victoria provided an update on the February 26th trip to Chelsea to tour the Green House Project there. Victoria, Paddy, Tom, and Peter will be attending. If you would like to be added to the list, please contact Victoria. Need to determine who will drive.
- Schedule: Leaving on the 7 AM boat, check-in at 9:45AM with symposium to begin at 10 AM; lasting for 5 hours. However, our group may leave Chelsea at 12:45 PM to arrive at Fox Hill (Westwood) by 2 PM.
- Some felt this might be a bit too much to schedule in one day and proposed conducting two separate trips. Victoria will look into possibly rescheduling the Fox Hill trip to a later date.
- Polly talked about the market study her group did in 2003-04 to determine the interest in the concept of a CCRC on the island. Questionnaires were sent out and then some individuals were invited to participate in focus groups. Although there was enough interest fora CCRC model on the island, there was also considerable interest in staying at home and having services brought in. What came from this was Vineyard Village at Home.
- This committee will continue to explore expanding volunteer opportunities for the Stop at Home and Seniors Helping Seniors programs.
- Dianne and Mary will spearhead this effort.
- It was suggested that Sandie and Betsy spearhead this area, particularly since the VNA incorporates technology use in its services.
- AARP, national and regional offices, should be consulted on this, too.
- This committee should contact Eileen Klein. She is presently in California overseeing the use of technology to link in-home need with externalhealthcare service
- CORE Program at MVCS
- Department of Elder Affairs
III. New Business
Issues for our working group to address (1-3 year plan):
- 1. To build a strong and sustainable volunteer base
- 2. Conduct a community survey of public interest
- 3. Determine the economy to scale of any model
- 4. Address changes in zoning regulations
- 5. To formalize and expand upon the island-wide Gatekeeper Program
- 6. To address transportation needs for island residents and for existing programs such as Vineyard Village at Home
- 7. To develop a PR campaign to promote Aging in Community
Meeting adjourned at 6:32 PM
Wednesday, February 26th an informational session will be held at the Urban Greenhouse Complex in Chelsea, MA from 10 AM – 3PM. Plan to be on the 7 AM boat. Please let Victoria know if you would like to attend.
Our subcommittee’s next meeting is scheduled for Thursday,February 27th from 5-6:15 PM at the Dukes County office. Please confirm attendance via Google invite.