Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.

CodeRED Emergency Notification Signup
Contact the County
Search Our Site

How to Get Here
Town Seal
Frequently Asked Questions
Vineyard Health Care Access Program
Q.      I have no health insurance, and I need to see a doctor.  Can you help me?
A.      Yes. We will review your medical needs and try to match them with the many resources that available locally and in the region to get you the care you need.

Q.     My doctor gave me a prescription that I can’t afford to fill. Can you help me?
A.     Yes, if you qualify for one of the programs that are designed to help lower-income people with prescription medications. We can explain the different programs and help you to apply. You may also be eligible for our Voucher Program, which helps you to pay for a limited number of medications.

Q.   I have a hospital bill and I can’t afford to pay the whole amount. What can I do?
A.    If you are eligible for Free Care (either full or partial), we can help you complete the paperwork. If your Free Care application is approved, most or all of your hospital bill may be covered.    

Q.   I would like to have health insurance but I can’t afford it. Are there any affordable plans?
A.   Yes, residents of the Vineyard will soon be able to join the Island Health Plan, which is a new affordable insurance plan that should be available in the fall of 2004 (see Links to the Island Health Plan).

Q.   Can you tell me if I qualify for MassHealth?
A.    Yes. There are two ways to qualify. The first is by category: you must either be pregnant, have children under the age of 19 who live with you, be long-term unemployed or be disabled, or be over 65 years old. If you fit into one of these categories, you also have to have a certain income to qualify. We can explain the different ways you may qualify.   

Q.   My MassHealth was terminated. Can you help me get it back?
A.    It depends on the reason it was terminated. For example, if your income increased over the income limit, you may not qualify any more. Sometimes people lose their MassHealth because they don’t return the paperwork; or there is some kind of mix-up. In those cases we may be able to help you get back on.  

Q.      I think I may need your help! How can I get in to see you?
A.      Call (508) 696-0020 or e-mail us at .
We can provide information over the phone or via e-mail. We will let you know if you need to make an appointment at our office, or we can come to your home to do a home visit if needed.

Q.      I can’t work because of a medical problem. What can I do?
A.      You may qualify for cash assistance, medical coverage and Food Stamps through the Department of Transitional Assistance. We can help you to apply for this assistance.

Q.      I am disabled, or I think I might be disabled because of a long-term health problem.                    What can I do?          
A.      We can help you to apply for Social Security Disability or MassHealth for people with long-term illnesses or disabilities. Other resources we can help you to explore are the state’s Rehabilitation services

The County of Dukes County PO Box 190, Edgartown, MA 02539
Phone: 508.696.3840    Fax: 508.696.3841
   Hours Vary by Department
Virtual Towns & Schools Website