Dukes County Health Council
Healthy Aging Task Force
Health Care Change Workgroup
February 17, 2014
Present: Cindy Doyle, Trudy Carter, Kathleen Samways
Absent; Paddy Moore, Julie Fay, Charlie Hodge, Ellen McCabe
Shared new circles from Hospice and VNA. These lack drill-down data but give overview of flow, activity, and major connections for referral both into and out of the flow. See attached VNA. (VNA included. Trudy can you send electronic version please).
Talked about information from COAs, alternative and complimentary approaches, Windemere, Brewer house and Long Hill are elements of our system. Could this info come from First Stop; Community involvement; and Aging in Community Workgrops respectively?
Need to know how many elders are served in the ER, and for what in general categories? # referrals from the ER, who do they refer to? Has the hospital adopted the MOLST model?
Emergencies and data:
- Distribution map of elders. Might the safety center have one of these?
- Street numbers can be had from emergency services.
- Could we explore an emergency registry?
- Emergency services, health care, prevention.
Conversation about programs:
- HealthLeads interviews people in waiting rooms and connects them to community resources. AmeriCorps runs programs in all kinds of niches all over the country.
- Vineyard Haven and Edgartown Yacht clubs have housing that is empty in the winter. Maybe the youth hostel. We could have an AC program that runs Sept to June.
Drop into workplan:
- Insurance companies ñ research connections and partnerships
- 2.5 Hospice services
- Data from ER on elders, why they are seen, where they are referred
- Allied health needs assessment
- Letís get the folks who expressed an interest at Escape Fire from March 2012 together to see if/why they go off-Island for health care. Other issues?
- Census data for how many people now arenít being served because we donít have the human resources to serve them (see notes from last meeting as well). What statistics do we need to develop grants? Check with funder list for common data required and find that. Perhaps a Rural Scholar could do this.
Next meeting is February 24. Work plan due Feb 28. We will drop in the items from the past two meetings.
Trudy provided the hospice flow diagram. She will send electronic version separately.
VNA Episode of Care - Part I
VNA Episode of Care - Part II
Vineyard Nursing Association