VEHICULAR ACCESS REGULATIONS
1. Vehicles must be in four-wheel drive and must display a current Norton Point Beach permit on the front and rear
bumpers. Permits are not transferable.
2. Vehicles must remain on the designated trails.
3. Vehicles are prohibited from driving along the bay-side tidal flats.
4. Tires shall be maintained at a maximum of 15 pounds per square inch to protect the trail and to reduce strain on
5. Either adverse weather conditions or the presence of nesting shorebirds may close part or all of the beach to
6. Driving or parking is prohibited in the following areas:
a. On vegetation;
b. Within 15 feet of sand fencing;
c. Within 15 feet of the toe of a dune.
7. Speed limit of 15 miles per hour.
8. In places the designated trails are wide enough for only one vehicle; Use designated pull off areas to allow oncoming
traffic to pass.
9. Parking on designated trails or in pull off areas is prohibited.
10. All vehicles must carry the following:
a. These regulations;
b. Spare tire;
c. A rope, strap, chain or cable of sufficient strength and length to tow your vehicle;
d. Jack and a board to go under the jack (a jack in the sand is use-less;
e. Heavy duty shovel;
f. Tire pressure gauge registering 10 psi or less.
11. Drivers must fill in the ruts and or holes they dig to remove their vehicle from loose sand.
12. The Beach Manager and/or County Commissioners may enact and post additional regulations to protect public
health and safety or to protect the integrity of the beach.
SUMMARY OF GENERAL REGULATIONS
THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES ARE PROHIBITED:
1. Climbing dunes – This activity damages the dunes and/or the vegetation holding the dunes in place.
2. Cutting, removing or walking on any vegetation – This vegetation is what holds the beach in place, so it must be protected.
3. Littering – At the least, remove all the materials you bring to the beach. Please consider removing other litter as well.
4. Carrying and consumption of alcoholic beverages.
5. Overnight camping or sleeping.
6. Open fires.
7. Removing, defacing or otherwise damaging signs, barriers or other property.
8. Behavior that endangers the public, causes a nuisance, or harasses wildlife.
9. Dog and Pet Restrictions:
a. 1 January – 31 March – No Restrictions;
b. 1 April – 14 May – Dogs and pets are prohibited within 100 yards of posted nesting habitat by federal and state regulation;
c. 15 May – 30 August - Dogs and pets are prohibited within 100 yards of posted nesting habitat by federal and state regulation AND Dogs and pets are prohibited on all beaches between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.;
d. 1 September – 15 September - Dogs and pets are prohibited on all beaches between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.;
e. 16 September – 31 December – No Restrictions; and
f. Dog and pet excrement must be picked up and disposed of properly.
g. There is a $50 fine for violation of Section 4 (Mass. General Law Section 161 Acts 1971).
Approved By County Manager April 27, 2005