Preventing Rats and Mice from Entering Your House
Mice and rats are looking for food and shelter. If you cut off access to those two things, it will help solve your rodent problem.
1. Clean areas under stoves, refrigerators and dishwashers.
2. Store dry food (rice, pasta and grains), dry pet food and birdseed in metal, glass or plastic containers.
3. Clean pet bowls at night. Place bird feeders with seed away from the house.
4. Store lumber, firewood and compost away from the house. Elevate lumber and firewood on pallets. Use thick plastic or metal trash cans with tightly fitting lids.
5. Rake, collect and remove fruit, nuts and other foods that have fallen out of plants or trees. Repair all small holes in foundation, walls, basements, etc. Use caulking, a concrete patch, course steel wool or copper mesh. You can also fasten a sheet metal plate or cement over masonry.
6. Properly dispose of garbage